At Members Credit Union we are dedicated to providing you with financial products and services to help you reach your financial goals. At the same time, protecting your personal information and using it in a manner consistent with your expectations is a high priority for us and everyone associated with Members Credit Union.
We are required by law to give you this privacy notice. It describes our policies and practices that protect your privacy and enable us to share information to make competitive financial products and services available to you.
Information We Collect About You
We will collect only the personal information that is necessary to conduct our business and to provide you with competitive financial products. By the USA PATRIOT ACT, we collect information and take actions necessary to verify your identification. We receive information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications and other forms;
- Information about your transactions with us, our affiliates (if, in the future we create them), or companies that work closely with us to provide you with diverse financial products and services;
- Information we receive from consumer reporting agencies, including credit bureaus;
- Information obtained when we verify the information you provide on an application or other forms (this may be obtained from your current or past employers, or from other institutions where you conduct financial transactions); and
- Information we may obtain from consumer purchasing and census data providers to develop competitive marketing programs for our members.
What personal information do we collect when you visit our website?
We collect information from you when you subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, register for online banking services, or enter information on our site. We also collect data via Google Analytics to help us better understand how website visitors use our website. To learn more about Google Analytics Data collected from our website and how to opt out please see the section below titled, “Google.”
When Information May Be Shared
MCU only shares information for legitimate business reasons, with the ultimate goal of bringing you greater convenience and more choices. MCU shares member information with its affiliates and certain vendors with whom it has a contractual relationship to provide specific products and services such as, but not limited to, insurance services, credit cards, and account statements. These insurance services, credit cards and account statements are frequently requested services that MCU would not otherwise be able to provide without affiliates and vendors. These vendors are prohibited from using member information for any purpose other than that for which they have been contracted.
Personal financial information such as your account balance or loan information may be shared under the following circumstances:
- When such disclosure is compliance with the law, government agencies or court orders,
- When a third party is verifying the existence or condition of your account in accordance with applicable law,
- When necessary to complete a transaction,
- To protect secured assets or the assets of MCU,
- When you give us written permission,
- To share our experience with you to consumer reporting agencies, such as the credit bureaus.
Non-Disclosure of Information to Affiliates
As a member of MCU, you can be confident that the confidentiality of account information is the rule, not the exception. Although information collected in conjunction with a member’s account remains the property of MCU, members may choose to be excluded from receiving certain marketing materials.
Members may choose to “opt out” of receiving offers of goods or services by direct mail, e-mail or telemarketing. Members who “opt out” will continue to receive offers included in member statements.
If you wish to “opt-out” of receiving offers of goods or services by direct mail, please CALL 800-951-8000 ext. 1264 or put your request in writing and send it to:
Members Credit Union
Attn: Member Services
PO Box 5297
Winston-Salem, NC 27113-5297
Your request must include your account number(s), name, a phone number where you can be reached, and signature. In the case of joint ownership, one account owner’s request will be considered binding to opt out or to opt back into MCU’s affiliate programs.
To send your opt-out request electronically, you must be enrolled in our free online banking service, MCU@Home, and use secured messaging via the online banking platform. When you opt out using secured messaging we do not need your signature.
Protecting your Privacy Online
MCU uses an integrated security system to protect your account data from exposure to unauthorized persons over the Internet. We use a multi-tier security system that governs all aspects of our on-line service. Our on-line security enables members to conduct business with the Credit Union via the Internet with an extremely high degree of security.
At no time does anyone from the outside world have access to the Credit Union’s database via the Internet. All requests for data must pass through distinct validation and control centers. Each request and answer are reviewed at each stop through the firewall. Also, any suspicious activity is immediately terminated.
Our Website contains links to other sites. MCU is not responsible for the privacy practices and policies or the content of linked sites.
How We Protect Your Information
- We will maintain strong security controls to ensure that member information in our files and computers is protected. Where appropriate, we will use security-coding techniques to protect against unauthorized access to personal records and protect your confidentiality. We will also use coding techniques to ensure accuracy and integrity of communications and transactions.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your non-public personal information and protect your account against fraud and unauthorized access.
- As a member, you will always have access to your account information. You will also have the opportunity to review your information and make necessary changes to ensure that our records are complete and accurate.
- We will partner only with businesses that follow strict confidentiality requirements. The businesses we select will offer products designed to enhance your economic well-being. We may disclose limited member information to partner businesses when they perform marketing services on our behalf. We will not authorize business partners to charge your account without your express consent.
- Under no circumstances will we sell your information to outside firms or provide information to telemarketing firms.
What You Can Do To Help
While we are committed to protecting your privacy, you can also help by following these simple guidelines:
- Protect your account numbers, card numbers, PINs (personal identification numbers), and passwords. Never keep your PIN with your debit, credit, or teller machine card which can provide free access to your accounts if your card is lost or stolen.
- Use caution when disclosing your account numbers, social security numbers, etc. to other persons. If someone calls you representing himself as a credit union employee and asks for your account number, be careful. Credit union employees will have access to your information and will not need to ask for it.
- It is important that we have current information on how to reach you. If we detect potentially fraudulent or unauthorized activity or use of an account, we will attempt to contact you immediately. If your address or phone number changes, please let us know.
- Please call us if you have any questions concerning activity on your account(s).
Google’s advertising requirements can be summed up by Google’s Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users. https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?hl=en
We have implemented the following: Demographics and Interests Reporting:
We, along with third-party vendors such as Google use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to understand our website visitors better and make the information on our website more relevant and accessible.
Opting out: Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt-out by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt-Out page or by using the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on found here; https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under the age of 13 years old, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, United States’ consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online. We do not market to or collect any personal information about children under the age of 13 years old.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address to:
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred.
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails follow the instructions at the bottom of each email, and we will promptly remove you from ALL Correspondence.